Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Stuff

I've been busy with Easter stuff.  I practised on something for Maxwell...


...made a revision, then stitched these out.


I think they are cute! 
I made coordinating shorts...


...that I lined, because I thought the outer fabric was too thin.  The lining fabric was an incredibly soft white muslin.  (I want a nightgown made out of this fabric!)  The shorts were made of blue pinstripe seersucker and red gingham.


And a pair of super cute, lined, pink pinstripe bloomers for the little girl with another coordinating t-shirt.




I also stayed up very late during the week working on this Easter basket liner.  My friend wanted the one from Pottery Barn, but they sold out early.  She asked if I could make one.  "Sure!" is my usual response to that kind of question.


The basket she brought me was not the typical style of basket for a liner, which posed an interesting challenge.  The wide part of the basket is where the handles emerged, in this case.  In a typical basket with an embellished liner the handles emerge from the narrow end.  This basket was also a little chunky with chunky handles.  I should also note that it was a beautiful basket!

First, I came up with the embroidery design using royalty-free clip art and Times New Roman font.  I also used a new product (Sulky Puffy Foam) to give the design some dimension, since it was fairly simplistic. 


I am probably not the first to come up with this idea for a basket liner, but I did come up with it all on my own.  The outer part is a complete "skirt" where you would normally see ties around the handles.  The opening to make this one removable is on the inside.  I had originally intended to add some Velcro but didn't in the end.  I didn't think it was necessary in this case.  (BTW, the liner is also lined.)

I was very pleased with the result, and if it didn't say "Will", I might not have parted with it.  As it is, Maxwell's response to seeing the basket for the first time was, "Are you going to make one for me?"  He can read well enough now to know that it said a name that wasn't his.

I do have an Easter basket for Maxwell.  In fact, it is the first Easter basket that I am doing for him.  (My mom and sister have done all his previous Easter baskets.)  Unfortunately, it doesn't have a personalized basket liner.  But I am sure he will be just as happy with it.  I will be certain to do a nice basket liner for him next year!

Happy Easter, y'all!

Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment